Thursday, November 09, 2006

I Voted and my Conservative Viewpoint

Hi All, my name is Sabrina. I am your typical Christian Conservative, I suppose. I'm not thinking many folks here are going to agree with me, but that's okay. Anyway, I was able to go vote Tuesday and you can read all about that in my personal blog listed in the sidebar. I'm not surprised by the national outcome of the election, nor super disappointed, although not happy either. This chick can't make up her mind, can she? I think people in both parties are wanting a change and expressed their frustration with the current administration on Tuesday. I, too, am frustrated with the President, although for different reason than most here, I'm thinking. I'll be watching how things play out very closely in the next two years, after this election.

I'm from Louisiana, and I live in an area that was badly affected by the hurricane last year. I live an hour from New Orleans so I'm most interested in policies that involve rebuidling efforts, etc. I do want to say that I personally blame local and state government for the gross negligence following the storms, and I don't hold the ferderal government or the President as responsible. There were a lot of things that were done wrong by a lot of people at that time, but from my perspective as someone who lived through it, the state and local government let us down more than anyone else. I personally can't wait till it's time to elect a new governor, and I can not believe New Orleans re-elected Nagin for mayor.

The issue that is most important to me and others in this area is this oil royalties sharing bill that needs to be passed. If it passes it will mean a lot of good revenue for the state. From what I understand Nancy Pelosi is against any and all new offshore drilling, which includes the Gulf region. Now, I haven't researched this in-depth yet, so don't flame me if I got some of that wrong. As I undestand it, our Louisiana representatives (Reps and Dems) are working to get the bill passed in the House during the next two months, or bsaically, it won't happen.

I think knittinmom's previous post was very insightful and I enjoyed reading it, even if I didn't agree with all of it. I am most definitely pro-life, but I thought she made her points very well about how we don't help these mothers who find themself with an unplanned pregnancy. My personal viewpoint is that abortion is never an option, although I will concede the cases of life of the mother, rape, incest, etc. I believe that the choice was made when the woman consented to the act that created that child. Again, rape and incest, she had no choice, so I can understand the possible desire for an abortion in those cases. But, for all other situations where a consentual choice was made, I believe the couple should live with the consequences of their actions, and not hurt that child. That is putting it in the very harshest of terms. I think there are many changes that need to be made in our country to help women who have found themselves in this situation, although I personally don't know what those changes would be, yet. I don't think banning abortions is the whole answer, I think those of us that care so much about these little lives need to step up and come up with some solutions for helping those babies have a better quality of life once they're born. And, I think we are sadly lacking in that area.

Gosh, I hope I've made sense in this rambling post. I don't usually take part in political discussions for fear of sounding stupid, which I've probably done a good job today. And, I'm certainly not trying to anger anyone by anything I've said. I have truly enjoyed watching our democratric process at work these past few days, and I hope to involve myself more in the future.

**ETA: Sorry for all the typos and misspells. I'm not usually such a dumb blogger, really. Also here is a news story about the oil drilling bill if anyone is interested.**

9 Comments:

Blogger velmalikevelvet said...

hi sabrina, it is good to see someone of a different viewpoint have the courage to stand up in this group of liberals (like me) and express themselves. thank you for sharing your perspective. i think it is sad how many people are unwilling to even talk to someone who disagrees with them, and i think this forum is doing a good job of encouraging civil discourse on difficult topics. i always learn something from people who believe differently from me, at least when we both actually listen to what the other is saying, as seems to be the case here.

my heart goes out to you and your neighbors who suffered and survived the hurricane. my best to you in your rebuilding efforts. if there are any knitter-specific support groups for katrina 'victims' that you are aware of, i'd love to see them linked.

regards from california

11:28 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I agree with Velma. Kudos to you for speaking up about your beliefs, particularly when you know most of your audience has different views. Well and intelligently said! :)

1:45 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Thanks for sharing your views, Sabrina. I live in a conservative area and pretty much keep my mouth shut unless I know I'm talking to someone who's on the same end of the spectrum. So I understand.

I just recently read about La. not receiving any income from off shore drilling. If ever your state needed to be getting its fair share, it's now! The slow rebuilding must be incredibly frustrating.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Ginny said...

Another kudo here for speaking up. We disagree, but I like that we can do it civilly.

My husband spent time down on the Gulf Coast reporting for one of the national papers about the hurricanes, and wrote about the oil drilling bill. I also think that it's shameful that Congress and the President have been sitting on rebuilding efforts that need to start taking place.

Let's agree to knit on!

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the nice comments. It is a relief to be able to discuss differing views in such a nice manner. I can't find any knitter specific Katrina support groups anymore. I think they've moved onto other things. I believe Red Cross and/or Salvation Army are still working in some areas down here, and they would probably take donated items. Groups like Habitat for Humanity, etc. are the main ones you see around here; trying to get some livable structures back up. The whole situation was a major eye opener for our area and we know in the future to count on ourselves, our neighbors, and our churches should this happen again. There's just too much red tape for the government to be a viable source of help. I have enjoyed so much reading this blog and seeing all the different points of view.

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Found a group that seems to be knitting for Katrina/Rita survivors still. Here's the link: http://crochetcabana.com/squares4survivors/

6:55 PM  
Blogger A. M. Warnke said...

Sabrina Amen.
You are not alone. We are still praying for that area and FL, too. Dh had to go work both for a few weeks being an insurance adjuster. When he went back a year later for a bowl trip with the guys from church, he said there was still blue tarps every where.

I do not believe I write at all well. You did great!

10:44 PM  
Blogger pigbook1 said...

You are not the only one with a conservative point of view. I am glad there are people with better skills than me who can post their opinions, keep it up.

10:11 PM  
Blogger velmalikevelvet said...

thanks much for the link, bri!

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home